Monday, May 25, 2009

Wao did not Woo them!

Well, what can I say the Pulitzer does not make a book popular, it makes it famous. The Simon Vincent Book Club was almost unanimous in their dislike of Junot Diaz's masterpiece. It was my selection so I had to defend him. Imagine that, this lowly author/poet defending the professor and prizewinner. I did my best. In the end they did not buy my breakdown of his electric modern prose. I believe it was a great piece of writing by a good writer who loves to play with words and the reader. I finally added that he will surprise readers with a great novel one day. One with more plot and story and less wordplay. To no avail. My group was not moved. Thumbs down for this prizewinner!

On to the next round! Star already has her author and choices. Who the hell is Christopher Moore? Oh well that is what clubs are about expanding our reading horizons. Happy Reading, Simon

No comments: