Monday, May 11, 2009

Unaccustomed Earth

As a first time reader I had only one preconception, I had seen the movie version of "The Namesake". I really enjoyed the movie. I will read the book in reverse order, for I like to read the book and then see the movie. Anyhow back to the "Earth". I can see why she is a prize winning author. She has that gift, a unique prose, it is simple when compared to Garcia-Marquez lets say, no hidden metaphors, no slick word play. Elegant unassuming prose that moves the story with real characters. Yes she overdoes it with the Bengali heritage, but that is who she is. I write and try as I might I can't shake my cuban roots, it permeates my prose, my brain as I filter my words in my adopted language of English, which is my best. Her stories are like her characters, some are sharp and biting some are subdued and so normal they can be a bit slow to read at times. But take the last story about the photographer, his life is so rich that his photographs seem pale. I look forward to more stories from this woman. She is one of our best writers.

No comments: