Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Poem for Wed. 12/7

My Passion

1

I don’t belong here, I know it

But only say you love me

And my heart soars, quivers

Each word, each syllable impacting, moving me

From all that’s practical, real around me

To the warmness that is you.

In your soul I’ll nestle, shielded, huddled

So much power has your love, that your words

At the first sound makes me tremble

All ensconced with joy and bliss

Like the magic prince

One kiss upon your supple lips

The parting of your smile

I beg you please, three small words

My kingdom for the taking

2

So many faces, events, the “stuff”

That makes me who I am

My heart on fire…I pray

But the phone rings and I think of you

Empty now the bed we shared

Empty my embrace, my arms outstretched

And in the room, bodies come and go

I stay, now alone in every way

Life goes on but I hold back

The void of love, in deep sorrows I lack

My need for you

But you are gone, your heart in check

To meet new faces, see new places

Leaving me behind… waiting, wanting

Looking at the bed and the pillow

That caressed your head beside me

Yearning for the touch, one more kiss

Before departing, missing you.

And so I yield the mighty pen

That makes me who I am

And as I surrender to your memory

I am so alone, I search for words

And when they come,

It’s you and you alone, I miss you so.

3

My life is an ocean, rippling waves

Lapping at your feet

Rising, falling in the restless tides

That wonderful pacifying sound

Ocean meets shore, You are my shore

The never-ending reaching for you, my land

In this our place bound by time

All my soul dispersed in myriad waves

Each lapping, cursing your indifference

And sometimes a glassy calm,

That quickly ripples into a thousand mirrors

Each reflecting your eyes that haunt me still, and

Your smile that melts me to the shallows

Of the rocky shores and reefs that only now

I see with tear filled eyes

Then into this uncertain chaos,

The breathless wind of your sighs

Whirling all the untamed waters that you dread

There, lost in fertile valleys

I am no more,

What a curious thing

For one who was an island, a rock of ages

I now exist only as part of you

Embracing the thought of you

While outside, only smiles appear.

3

How deeply felt,

How deeply felt…

Measured by the impossibility of expression

----A sunset and a sunrise from my bedroom

----The first snow, kissing the windowpanes

----A tree stripped naked in the very moment you

chance to glance its way, then trembling, poor sycamore

covered with crystal drops of ice, too soon gone.

Evergreen would be a bore!

Mariachis strolling in the dark,

A lovely voice soaring like a lark

Or violins, tugging at your heart

Or a big brass band

Trumpets, clarinets, trombones, backed by

Deep voiced drums

The sweet sounds of music, and Oh so many more

How they fill my soul, soothe my pain

I revel in the earth,

My spirit lifted for the glorious

Homebound flight

And what is heaven but earth entire

Pure of heart and full of faith

When at last my heart shall break in two,

And free at last, encompass all of you.

4

I thank you for my soul, my love

I came within a breath of losing all

Raising the devil’s curtain on our stage

Softly unveiling the proscenium

From where I stood exposed under the lights, trembling

Against the cold, grey breath of death

Penitent, screaming to the Lord.

Oh! How we strain our lifeline

When we clutch the weight of sin.

Enclosed in my humanity,

My vision narrows,

Then a ray of light comes streaming

Crazed and wild, focused

Rapier pointed

My soul impaled on the blank naked, wall of fear

It surrounds in darkness, it consumed me

There I stood, trembling on the light-hook

Deserted, except for your love and will

And as I drowned enclosed in my humanity

A voice,

I followed, I listened, I ate, I drank

I am free, I am healed, I am loved.

No comments: