Saturday, March 19, 2016

The High Mountains of Portugal by Yann Martel

The High Mountains of PortugalThe High Mountains of Portugal by Yann Martel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As a fan of Yann Martel's Life of Pi I eagerly read his latest, I was not disappointed. I love his style of writing. I think he is as clever in using metaphors and imagery as Garcia-Marquez. Yann is at his best in this intriguing story about spirituality and loss. It is actually three stories in one. All tied up very neatly or perhaps not so neatly in the last and most memorable one. I actually cried at the end of this book I was so moved. I haven't done that since The Bridges of Madison County got me many years ago. But then I cry at movies. And I am not ashamed to say it. I wish I could write like that, and hey I can, several of my readers told me they cried at the end of Waypoint 90. And they all said they felt it was a very real story of Love and redemption. Anyhow back to Yann. I don't want to give you any spoilers but suffice it to say that I felt like I was on that search for spirituality after a devastating loss in my life. And what I found I am happy to say, is the same conclusion that Yann came to, we all need someone to love and to love us back. We need to believe in an afterlife and in a connection with our fellow man. Kudos to Yann Martel for making me feel wonderful and loved.


View all my reviews

No comments: