Monday, December 3, 2012

TO A BEING IMMORTAL



TO A BEING IMMORTAL

by Simon Vincent


            With diamond wings I set you free
high above a crimson sky
            you dare not fly just yet
glorious wings laden with your loot
            your perfect eyes filled with boiling tears
you yearn for a perfect sky and gentle breeze.
            You cling with tender claws
for the journey you feel can wait
            for one more kiss
                one more caress.

            Go I beg you
I set you free!
            I release you from my spell
leave me to my boring peace.

            And then finally you leave
on hollow broken wings
            through velvet clouds
no calm tonight, a angry sky, a stormy sea,
            but on you fly!
High on high, the stars to reach
            you crash through barriers not of man
with lightning speed
            and I stand in awe and watch you
as if I did not know
            as if I did not care
for scorn builds hate
            and hate is the marrow of the                       immortals.

           

            And yes I stand in awe
and feel the coldness of your new-found strength
            and on you fly
from heaven...or is it hell? 

            I then grow old
an instant all it takes
            a wise old man
the graying scars
            not healed burning at my flesh.

            The horror of it all

            To think that mere mortals
can cast a spell on a
            goddess like you.
I pray for forgiveness,
            and beg you now
for I now know that I
            cannot hold, much less release a sunbeam
            or a star.

I can only feel their presence
            for a borrowed fraction
of our time.
            And so I beg you
to release me...then.

            For flesh and blood is all I know
            For flesh and blood is all I am.         

No comments: